Well-known Australian comedian, speaker and social activist Rod Quantock OAM joined with the SMPCP Elder Abuse Prevention Network to create a podcast series Rod Quantock gets serious about ageing to encourage young and old alike to:
- challenge ageist and sexist attitudes
- empower older people to know their rights and act on them
- raise awareness of elder abuse, including what it is and where to get help if desired
Light in tone yet addressing a serious subject, the podcast series delves into the hidden issue of age discrimination and elder abuse.
Rod says “I made the podcast for people young and old alike because we, as a society, need to step up to challenge ageist and sexist attitudes and to empower older people to know their rights and act on them. Becoming older does not mean that your rights are in any way diminished. Ageism leads to people not respecting older people and contributes to the attitudes that lead to the inappropriate treatment of older people.”
Rod hopes this reasonably serious podcast series can assist in raising the community’s awareness of age discrimination and elder abuse.
Episode 1: Rod Quantock gets serious about ageing
Features Rod interviewing:
- Gerard Mansour, Commissioner for Senior Victorians and Ambassasdor for Elder Abuse Prevention
- Gary Ferguson, Community Education Manager – Seniors Rights Victoria
- Michelle Lord, Elder Abuse Prevention Network Project Lead – Southern Melbourne Primary Care Partnership
This episode also importantly aims to raise awareness of elder abuse, including what it is and where to get help if desired.
Episode 2: Older, active and valued
Features Rod being interviewed by Colin Tyrus about his active life as an older Australian.
Episode 3: Are you ageist and does it matter?
Features Colin Tyrus speaking with two older Australians about what ageism looks like and the impact it has on everyday lives.
Listen to all episodes in the Rod Quantock gets serious about ageing podcast series:
- Apple podcasts...
- Google podcasts...
- Media player: Episode 1 | Episode 2 | Episode 3
After listening, please fill in our very quick survey to let us know your thoughts and help us develop more interesting content in the future.