In response to recommendations from the Royal Commission into Family Violence, the Victorian Government is funding the establishment of 10 elder abuse networks to collaborate at a community level and focus on the prevention of elder abuse.
As part of the Monash Health Integrated Model of Responding to Suspected Elder Abuse, SMPCP have established an Elder Abuse Prevention Network (EAPN).
The SMPCP EAPN seeks to:
- focus on primary prevention activities including:
- addressing the drivers of elder abuse such as ageist attitudes in the community
- conducting elder abuse awareness activities with older people, their families, carers and general community
- utilising social media as a platform for community engagement and to facilitate the dissemination of primary prevention messages
- connecting practitioners working with older community members, their families and carers
A steering committee and working group have been established to guide the development of the EAPN and the delivery of primary prevention activities.
Members of the network include:
Work of the SMPCP EAPN has included:
- Podcast - Rod Quontock gets serious about ageing
- Preventing Elder Abuse: A literature review for the SMPCP Elder Abuse Prevention NetworkPreventing Elder Abuse: A literature review for the SMPCP Elder Abuse Prevention Network
- Submission to the Royal Commission into Aged Care Quality and Standards
Resources of interest include:
- Action research - Older, Better Together: The primary prevention of elder abuse by primary prevention networks
- Online training
- Victorian Elder Abuse Prevention Networks
To express interest in participating in the SMPCP EAPN please contact:
This project is supported by the Victorian Government